Saturday, January 16, 2010

Tutorial using glossy surfaces with spray ink.

I wanted to share a fun spray ink technique that I used on this layout that I created with the January Cocoa Daisy kit.



I discovered this technique by accident -don't you love when that happens! I received a set of MAC makeup brushes for Christmas and loved the packaging almost as much as the brushes. I knew it would make a great mask for spray ink.


After playing with it on a different layout I realized that the spray ink would bead up on the glossy surface & run together. When I turned the mask over and wiped it on my scrap paper to clean it off I ended up with this beautiful water color effect, a perfect background for the picture of Greg on the helicopter.

This is how I did it:


First you will need 2-3 different spray inks, and a mask/stencil. You could make your own mask from a sheet of heavy glossy paper and some paper punches, any ready made plastic stencils or masks would work as well. For my layout I wanted to layer the spray ink, so first what I did was use a scrap piece of paper to mask off where I wanted my title and journaling and sprayed over it with a light layer of spray ink:


Next I sprayed the glossy surface of my mask with spray ink (I ended up adding "Carmel Apple" glimmer mist also) turned it over and pressed it onto my paper. Make sure you practice on some scrap paper first, so you know how much ink you want to use and you get a feel for how it will look on your finished project, you may want it to be very subtle, so you would press it on a scrap piece of paper then onto your project (in a sense "kissing" off some of the extra ink). After a few test runs I discovered I liked the effect I got from laying the mask down and smearing it slightly before lifting it up. This is what I ended up with:


I think it really has a great beach feel to it.

Have some fun with this technique, just play on some scrap pieces of paper with different color combinations and masks and I am sure you will love the result!!

No comments: